Yup, you read that right! Watermelon isn’t just for eating, darling!
I love coloring my hair, curling it, straightening it, and doing cool hair styles. But, the fact is, all of this damages our hair. From dryness to breakage and split ends, it’s a no brainer that treatments are a must. However, treatments do tend to get expensive and the added chemicals don’t help.
I’m all about natural remedies for everything, including my hair. & yes, I do tend to use fruits for my hair care routine, and so should you! Fresh and delicious organic fruits!
Watermelon Hair Benefits:
- Provides Moisture: It’s no secret watermelon hydrates. It is packed with vitamins, amino acids, and water. This combo does not only hydrate our bodies but also our hair.
- Prevents Breakage and Hair Fall: This fruit is filled with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It boosts scalp circulation, so more blood will reach your head and less hair will fall. The best way to get this benefit is by using watermelon seed oil, also known as Ootanga oil. This oil is great as a scalp treatment and isn’t too greasy.
- Promotes Hair Growth: When our scalps’ blood vessels are healthy and dilated they work best. Research shows, Watermelon contains Citrulline, an amino acid that converts to Arginine in our body. Arginine helps with blood vessel dilation, which keeps our blood vessels working properly. In this case, our scalp vessels would get the needed nutrients. And with all the nutrients, we would have a healthy scalp and in turn hair growth.
Now, the best way enjoy these benefits are by eating the fruit (just don’t overdo it, everything must be done at moderation to be healthy!)
Watermelon Hair Treatment
What you need:
- A few slices of watermelon (depending on how thick and long your hair is, I usually need 4)
- Food Processor
- Blend the watermelon into a smooth paste. Apply to your hair and scalp for 15 to 30 mins.
- Wash the hair with very little shampoo.
This treatment is great for a shine boost. It gives shine and is super quick and simple to make. I love it!
Watermelon & Coconut Oil Treatment:
What you need:
- Few Slices of Watermelon (depending on how thick and long your hair is, I usually need 4)
- 3 TBSP Coconut Oil (Cold Pressed Organic)
- 10 Drops Ootanga Oil
- 10 Drops Argan Oil (Optional, but highly recommended)
- Food Processor
- Blend the watermelon into a smooth paste.
- Combine all ingredients and stir well.
- Apply to hair for 30 mins.
- Shampoo & rinse as usual.
Make sure you apply this treatment from the ends of your hair to the roots. This treatment is best for dryness and breakage, and it will nourish your scalp.
Coconut oil is great for all hair types, & it’s especially great for brittle, breaking hair. It softens, hydrates, restored and strengthens. Ootanga oil strengthens the hair, helping with split ends and breakage, plus it add shine to our hair and nourishes the scalp. Lastly, Argan oil; it adds shine, helps protect the hair during styling, seals the cuticle, and nourishes the hair overall.
You can also use this treatment without the Watermelon paste as a scalp or hair treatment. Just combine all the oils and apply to your hair and scalp. Use a bit more coconut oil if you want an all over hair treatment. I tend to use ½ a cup coconut oil, in this case (depending on thickness and length of hair).
P.S There is no way to fix split ends if you already have them. Honestly, we all have split ends, we all get them. However, you can reduce and prevent future split ends by protecting your hair and doing treatments that promote its natural health.
I hope you enjoy this hair treatment & leave your feedback! Got any other combinations with watermelon or tips? Let me know, I’d love to try them.