I hope all is well and everyone is enjoying their summer! I certainly can’t wait for my much-needed vacation in 10 days! I’m absolutely exhausted.
Today I want to talk about Turmeric. As we all have seen, Turmeric has become a popular spice in the beauty industry lately (it has been used for centuries though). And this is due to its’ abundance of benefits. Curcumin is the main ingredient in Turmeric that provides strong antioxidants and anti-inflammatory benefits. The best way to take this is via a supplement, in order to receive the best health benefits it provides, and of course add the spice to your cooking, or drink a cup of Turmeric tea.
So why Turmeric? Well, although Inflammation is important for our overall health in order to fight bacteria in our body and prevent us from succumbing to it. Chronic inflammation is not healthy at all and has been proven to cause serious illnesses, such as heart disease and cancer. Turmeric (Curcumin) is such a powerful anti-inflammatory, that it’s equivalent to many anti-inflammatory modern medicines. The richness in Antioxidant properties found in Turmeric is extremely beneficial. Turmeric has been known to increase our body’s antioxidant ability because it reduces the effects of free radicals that can cause premature aging and many other diseases. The antioxidants not only works to eliminate free radicals, it also stimulates our body to produce its own.
But what does Turmeric do for our skin? A lot! Turmeric is effective in treating many skin conditions, helping you work your way to the flawless skin of your dreams. It treats acne, because it has antiseptic and antibacterial properties that help reduce breakouts. It reduces excess oil, inflammation, and heals scarring. It can work as an anti-aging treatment when combined with other effective ingredients. It can also help with blemishes, skin pigmentation, soothing and healing burns, removal of dead skin cells, and much more.
Woah, can you tell I love Turmeric? ^_^ that was a lot… Now below is my favorite way to use Turmeric for my skin.
DIY ANTI-AGING/ACNE TURMERIC MASK
- 1 TBSP Turmeric powder (organic/pure, no additives)
- 1 TBSP Organic Honey
- 1 TSP Lemon Juice
- Small chunk of Aloe Vera (fresh from the plant)
- Mix the Turmeric powder, honey, and lemon juice to form a paste.
- Now, this is where the trick comes in. Rub the gel part of the aloe vera on your face. Make sure to get every section with some aloe.
- Apply the Turmeric paste.
- Let it sit for 20 to 25 mins. Rinse with lukewarm water and enjoy that beautiful glow.
***Lemon juice helps heal acne, remove blackheads, reduce excess oil, brighten, and exfoliate. Honey, also helps with acne, it moisturizes, soothes, brightens, reduces free radicals and provides anti-aging properties. Aloe Vera is anti-aging, moisturizes, heals, treats acne, lightens complexion, and reduces blemishes.
BEAUTY HACK: I LOVE rubbing the aloe vera on my face before applying the face mask vs. mixing everything together, because this prevents my skin from getting that yellow tint Turmeric can leave. So, that’s my beauty hack.
Now, enjoy your facial with a side of homemade Turmeric tea; a great way to boost your health!
Homemade Turmeric Tea
- Boil four cups of water. Add 1 TSP of ground organic Turmeric powder and let it simmer for about 10 minutes. Strain the tea an you’re done!
- You can add honey or lemon to taste.
- NOTE: Adding a pinch of black pepper will help increase the absorption of turmeric into your bloodstream. Otherwise, it will just stay in your gut, in order for it to benefit your entire body, add black pepper or black pepper extract! (of course, if you want the benefits directly for your bowel, then no pepper is ok!
P.S don’t forget to make some culinary wonders with this spice as well ^_^
I hope you enjoy and benefit from this post!
Got any skin or nutrition issues? Email me, I’m also happy to help!
Also, follow Instagram -> Claudia_qui! for some daily beauty tips.
Stay Beautiful, Claudia!