Hope all is well. I’ve been working on a few things for the blog, and hopefully soon it will be available.
Today I want to give some tips on how to treat and repair dry or damaged skin. Excessive dry skin can be annoying, itchy, and dull. It is important to try to figure out what is causing your dry skin. Many say it is lack of moisture, dry air, excessive use of fragrances, using certain soaps, detergents, unfiltered or water rich in certain minerals like magnesium or lead, and much more. However, keep in mind if you are experiencing dry skin with unbearable side effects, please consult your doctor.
So, below are some tips for treating or repairing dry skin. Following these tips helps me and I hope it helps you.
HOW TO TREAT DRY SKIN:
- Pat skin dry after showering. Do not rub, as it just irritates the skin more.
- Take warm showers or baths (not hot showers) and limit your time to 5 to 10 mins.
- Use scrubs, body wash, or soaps that are rich in butters and that will nourish and moisturize your skin.
- Use chemical free soaps and moisturizers. Avoid products rich in chemicals, try to focus on using products that are more natural based and free of excessive additives.
- Fragrance free cleansers and soaps.
- Avoid drinking caffeine or alcohol as these are diuretics.
- Medications can affect your skin, read the side effects and see if you are experiencing a side effect, such as excessive dryness of the skin and consult your doctor. There are ways to deal with the side effects of your medication.
- Get a humidifier. These work wonders if you are always inside heated or air-conditioned rooms, as the air is very dry and your skin will lose moisture.
- Limit sun exposure. Sun is essential for Vitamin D production, however, excessive sun exposure doesn’t only damage your skin beyond imaginable, it also causes dry skin.
- Dry feet? Scrub your feet to remove excess dead skin and moisturize your feet twice a day, moisturize your hands twice a day. Also, don’t forget to wear shoes that allow your feet to breath.
- DRINK WATER! Water is essential for our bodies and over-all health. Skip the juice, smoothie, soda (always skin this) and drink water!
QUICK & EASY REMEDY: Olive Oil or Coconut Oil Remedy
- 1 TBSP Honey
- 2 TBSP Olive Oil or Coconut Oil
- 4 TBSP Brown Sugar or Oatmeal
- 20 to 30 mins before showering scrub the mixture in the affected areas. Make sure to scrub/massage lightly (don’t be rough).
- You can also use Honey and Olive oil or Coconut Oil alone.
Note: You can also mash Avocado (1/2) and mix with 1/4 cup of Honey. Apply mixture to dry skin for 10 to 20 mins. Rinse and pat dry!
P.S Got any topics you’d want me to write about? Comment below or contact me directly.
Stay Beautiful, Claudia!